Aurora Sky
[Past] [Tiburon] North Beach - Printable Version

+- Aurora Sky (https://aurorasky.udocoded.com)
+-- Forum: The Lands (https://aurorasky.udocoded.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=36)
+--- Forum: THE WESTERN COAST (https://aurorasky.udocoded.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+---- Forum: Tiburon (https://aurorasky.udocoded.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+---- Thread: [Past] [Tiburon] North Beach (/showthread.php?tid=214)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

[Past] [Tiburon] North Beach - DarkAbyssKeeper - 06-23-2018

A little north of Tiburon, technically outside of the city proper, is a sand and pebble beach with incredibly languid waters. Popular in the summer as a place to spend time after work.

When the tide is high the beach is almost entirely pebble, the sand only revealed when the tide is low.

RE: [Tiburon] North Beach - Jacob Aranthime - 06-23-2018

It was early morning when the scholarly looking man in a silk cloak with a waist length braid strode out onto north beach. He sat himself down on a flat patch of pebbles, laying down his cloak, bag and the staff that had been floating behind him. He pulled out a thick bound leather journal and began scratching notes into it with a quill.

Foothold magic triggers a reflexive generation of force magic beneath the feet. Flow allows control of quantities of water using the movements of the body without wasting magic. Could I trigger a reflexive generation of upward force from the water itself...

The rest of the page was soon filled with sigils, tables and what looked like charts. Collectively they spelled out an attempt at a prototype... Walk on the Beach - Water beneath your feet reacts to your stepping motions by pushing upwards with equal force, acting for all intents and purposes like a non-newtonian fluid. As long as you keep walking at a steady pace, you can walk on water.Passive. (Level 2, Water)

Squinting a little at his notes, Jacob tucked the journal into his bag before walking out to an outcrop of rocks. He focused on the notes he had written, looked at the water beneath him and took a deep breath.

And stepped straight into the sea with a large splash.

"Oh light that's cold!" the now dripping wet mage announced as he stood up, waist deep in the morning ocean.

RE: [Tiburon] North Beach - Havarti - 06-26-2018

Down the beach a bit and near where the rocks meet the grass. (more inland part of the beach) beneath a tree Havarti stretched as he woke up. He did not mind sleeping outdoors in cold considering he usually slept propped up against Beau as well as had a few fur skins and a fire on hand. A few minutes past of him gazing out at the beautiful morning water and he saw a guy walk towards the water. Curious about his attire and his reasons for being at the beach at such an hour he simply watched him. He watched him scribble some notes in a book, mumble to himself, and then walk towards the rocks.... What does this guy think he is doing... He watched as this strange man just walked off the rock and into the water. Havarti could not help but let out a laugh. "Oh geez.. I am unsure if this man has all his wits about him. Come Beau, lets go help the man.. at least make him a fire." Havarti double checks that he has enough logs left over from last night, seeing that he does he walks over to the cold wet man, Beau following obediently behind. "Hello there! Are you alright?" Havarti called out to him.

RE: [Tiburon] North Beach - Jacob Aranthime - 06-26-2018

Now that he was closer, Havarti could see the man had navy coloured hair, so was likely half-fey.

"I- Yes, I'm fine! Did you know the sea is exceptionally cold?" he said as he began to wade back to shore.

Havarti chuckles at the half-fey wanting to humor him. "Really now? I bet it at least woke you up more than you were already. Come, lets get your things and come over to my campsite I will start a fire for you. You should not remain cold for too long." Havarti gestures to where he has set up his fire pit and offers to help him move his things. (I actually didn't know until now when I googled it but apparently Caribou don't make a lot of noise.. so.. darn.. no mooing.. or whatever noises.)

"That is a very kind offer. I can deal with the water..." he said, waving a hand upwards. Water visibly flowed from his hair and clothes, coalescing in a swirling orb which he tossed over his shoulder into the water. Now substantially less wet, he picked up the bundle of his things.

"... but a fire sounds delightful. Lead the way." he added, gesturing inland.

Havarti smiles as he leads the way back to his campsite "I wish I could learn that trick, it would be very useful. My name is Havarti by the way, and yours?" The campsite has a few fur skins laying around, Havarti's bag and Beau's armor on the ground. There are 3 sticks tied into a tripod near the fire with a iron pot full of water hanging from it. His drawing and ink set is laying on top of one of the skins. Havarti sits down and preps the fire, he sends some cinders from his hands to light the tinder and then blows on it to stoke it. "Feel free to sit wherever." Beau lays down next to Havarti and curiously eyes their new friend.

Jacob took a seat on the furs, taking a moment to draw away a little more water before doing so. It would be rude to soak the furs of a kind stranger after all.

"I go by Jacob. That particular trick is one of the first and easiest to learn among the water arts, actually. I recommend it if you pass by a good place to learn." he said as he rubbed his hands together.

"What kind of creature is that? Not native to the coast?" he asked.

Havarti takes his hunting knife from his bag and pokes at the logs. "I shall take your recommendation next time i stop in town I shall have a look into learning it. It will help keep the rain off myself and my friend." He gestures towards Beau. "A fine eye you have, no Beau is not native to the coast or much of this land. He is a caribou, although.. he acts more like a dog than anything. Havarti pets Beau behind the ear and Beau leans into him closing his eyes and enjoying it. Havarti stops and then looks in his bag and takes out some bread and breaks it in half, offering Jacob some. "Here homemade bread from my homeland. It is infused with rosemary... So I must ask.. What was your goal out there on the water? I am sure you did not need a bath this early in the morning" He lays back against a tree enjoying the warmth of the fire.

Jacob gladly takes a small bite out of the bread, letting out an appreciative grunt at the taste of it.

"Right, this will sound strange. I was trying to walk on water." he said, taking another bite of bread once he had said it.

Havarti gives a wholesome laugh and then sees that the man is serious. "I am sorry! I could not help myself. I do wonder of course. How do you expect to accomplish such a feat? Jacob's idea of walking on water peaked his curiosity. He took a bite out of the bread and Beau leaned his head into Havarti for more head pets... which Havarti ended up doing. 'Just like a dog' he thought.

"Well... there's a spell that allows you to take a step on a platform of force, triggered by the movement of the foot and burst of primal magic. I also learned a spell that allows me to use my movements to control water." as he said this he demonstrating, pulling a little more water from his hair and getting it to dance in the air by twirling his finger.

"I thought I'd figured out how to combine those two aspects in a new, stable spell." he said, furrowing his brow.

Havarti nods at his explanation while he eats the bread. "That is amazing! Fusing two spells to create a whole new one. Is this what you do for a living?" Beau is hungry and begins to go for Havarti's drawing paper. Havarti sees this out of the corner of his eye and speaks loudly in a foreign tongue (language of the Havarti's village) "NO! Stop that!" Beau grunts in dissatisfaction and Havarti tells him in foreign tongue while pointing towards the grass nearby "Go. Get food." Beau gets up and walks over to the grass to eat. "I swear, he will eat anything..." Havarti shakes his head not noticing his drawings have fallen out of the book.

Jacob chuckled, swallowing a mouthful he had taken while Beau was acting.

"Ah, I wish. It would be wonderful to get paid to tinker with magical formulae, instead its more of a calling. My family is rich enough and eccentric enough that I can study relatively freely, though I suppose at some point I need to do something to fund further research." he said.

Reaching out, Jacob stopped one of the drawings from falling towards the fire, using telekinesis to float it over to Havarti.

"Nearly lost that one... is that charcoal work?" he asked.

Havarti smiles and says warmingly "That must be nice having the ability to study whatever you please. And this, its just doodles. One of my habits. I tend to draw places I have been and people I have seen. Feel free to look at them all if you wish." The paper that Jacob saved was of a realistic charcoal drawing of the beach in front of them at a different time of day.